Tuesday, February 28, 2012
6 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 Pound English Pork Sausage
¼ Cup Minced Onion
1Pinch Ground Mace
½ Teaspoon Fresh Thyme, Chopped fine
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1. Place 4 eggs in a small saucepan; add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 3 minutes. Carefully drain, then fill pan with ice water to cool eggs. Gently crack shells and carefully peel under cold running water. Place eggs in a bowl of cold water; cover and chill until cold.
2. Place flour in a wide shallow bowl and add Panko breadcrumbs to another wide shallow bowl.
3. Add Minced Onion, Thyme, and Mace to the English sausage, and mix well.
4. Divide sausage into 4 equal portions. Pat out 1 portion of sausage into a thin patty over the length of your palm.
5. Lay one egg on top of sausage and wrap sausage around egg, sealing to completely enclose. Repeat with remaining sausage and eggs.
6. Whisk remaining 2 eggs in a medium bowl to blend. Working gently with 1 sausage-wrapped egg at a time, dip eggs into flour, shaking off excess, then coat in egg wash. Roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
7. Heat deep fryer to 350°F. Fry eggs, turning occasionally and maintaining oil temperature of 350°, until sausage is cooked through and breading is golden brown and crisp, 5–6 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to paper towels to drain. Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.