Thursday, November 10, 2011
Rogan Josh is one of the most popular curry dishes served in restaurants today. The name means ”Red Curry” , the red being provided by the chilies.
2 tablespoons Ghee, or Clarified Butter
2 Pounds Braising Steak, cut into 1” cubes
1 Onion, chopped fine
3 Cloves Garlic
1-in. piece Fresh Ginger Root, grated
4 Fresh Red Chilies, chopped
4 Green Cardamom Pods
2 Teaspoons Coriander Seeds
2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds
1 Teaspoon Spanish Paprika
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
¼ Cup Natural Yogurt
1-in. Piece Cinnamon Stick
2/3 Cups Hot Water
¼ Teaspoon Garam Masala
Freshly Milled Black Pepper to taste
1. Heat the ghee in a large pot and brown the meat in batches.
2. Add the onion to the ghee and stir over high heat for 3-4 minutes.
3. Grind together the garlic, ginger, chilies, cardamom, cloves, coriander, cumin, paprika, and salt in a spice grinder.
4. Add the spice mixture and bay leaf to the pot and stir until fragrant.
5. Return the meat and any juices to the pot, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. Gradually stir in the yogurt to the pot while keeping the sauce simmering.
7. Stir in the cinnamon and hot water. Season with black pepper.
8. Transfer meat to a covered casserole dish and cook in a preheated, 350°F oven, for 1 hour, stirring frequently, until the meat is very tender and the sauce has slightly reduced.
9. Discard the cinnamon stick, and stir in the garam masala. Remove any excess oil from the surface.
10. Serve with steamed basmati rice and naan bread.
Friday, November 4, 2011
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2-inch piece ginger root, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup natural yogurt
2 pounds boneless lamb, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Tablespoon Paprika or 1-2 drops edible red food coloring
1 teaspoon water
Fresh mint leaves, to garnish
1 tablespoon ghee( Clarified Butter)
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
2 fresh green chilies, chopped
½ cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine the cumin, turmeric, ginger, garlic, salt and yogurt in a bowl. Stir in the lamb until evenly coated with the sauce. Dilute the food coloring with the water, and add to the bowl, stirring well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Soak 6 wooden skewers in hot water with 1 teaspoon oil for 15 minutes.
2. Make the masala sauce. Heat the ghee in a large saucepan and add the tomatoes, mustard seeds, green chilies and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down. Stir occasionally.
3. Thread the pieces of lamb onto the skewers. Set the skewers on a broiler pan and cook under a preheated very hot broiler for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. Stir the mint and fresh chopped cilantro into the sauce, and season with salt & pepper.
5. Carefully remove the lamb from the skewers. Stir the lamb into the masala sauce and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
6. Serve with Basmati Rice, and hot Naan bread.