12 Fluid Ounces Evaporated milk, Purchase a 12 oz. can
1 1/2 Cups Whole milk, Using evaporated milk can to measure
4 Each Large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and 11 1/2 by 7 1/2-inch baking dish. Do not use a deep dish.
- Place the bread and a large bowl and pour the evaporated and fresh milks over. Allowed to soak 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread is saturated. Pushed down any floating bread into the milk with a spoon.
- Separate 3 eggs keeping the yolks and add the remaining whole egg to the reserve the yolks. Set aside the egg whites at room temperature for the meringue.
- Add the 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well, and pour into the bread and milk mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake 30 minutes.
- Cut the Guava Paste into four or five pieces and place into a small saucepan with the rum.
- Stir over low heat until it is melted and smooth, adding more liquid if necessary to make a syrupy paste.
- Spread the guava mixture on the pudding and return to the oven.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually beat in the remaining 5 tablespoons of sugar.
- Beat until the whites are stiff and the sugar is dissolved.
- Spread the meringue over the pudding, swirl it with a spatula seal it to the rim of the baking dish.
- Return the pudding to the oven and bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool until slightly warm or room temperature prior to service.