Saturday, January 30, 2010

Delta Dog Fritters ( Gulf Shrimp Hushpuppies)

Delta Dog Fritters ( Gulf Shrimp Hushpuppies)Hushpuppies
It was several years ago while reading a Civil War Era cookbook that I had the pleasure of being introduced to the term " Delta Dog”. My love for history, and old recipes had me packing the bags and heading to Savannah, Georgia to find more about this wonderful, yet sadly forgotten piece of “Southern” cookery. Like many of the classics, this recipe is a descendent of the most dreadful part of America history the practice of Slavery.
Slaves working the plantations of the South would often find themselves left with meager scraps to provide sustenance for their families. While the traditional recipe is prepared using salt pork and cooked over open fire in the cast iron skillet much as you would cook a modern day pancake, I made a few adaptations to bring the recipe to its current presentation. This is what I believe is truly the grandfather of the famous hushpuppy, and deserved resurrection. With my discovery in hand, I returned to my kitchen in Atlanta to throw together a batch. I will forever remember the look on the breakfast crews face when they arrive to work at 5AM only to have the #2 standing there with a couple hundred of these things fried up and ready for breakfast. Upon arrival of the Executive Chef, and my good friend Chad I knew I found a winner. I spent about a week passing them out to the Bar, concierge lounge, employee cafeteria, and any vendor that walked through the door! I paired them up as a “ Garnish” for the wings, and soon had a following with the business travelers that stayed at the Marriott Alpharetta Hotel. This was a small part of our success as a culinary team, but my favorite part of being a Chef! Be true to your ingredients, your crew, and most importantly don’t be afraid to chase down something that sounds interesting!

Delta Dog Fritters-Scaled from the original batch recipe

4 each egg yolk, beat until light
1 Cup Whole milk
2/3 pound all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 pound cornmeal
1/16 cup double-acting baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 cup parsley, chopped, folded in
1/8 cup onion, minced, folded in
1/2 cup Chopped Sweet Corn
1/4 pound Maple Pepper Bacon, chopped, folded in
1/2 cup Cooked shrimp, chopped, folded in
6 each egg whites, stiffly beaten, folded in


Combine flour, corn meal, salt, and seasonings in small mixer bowl (use paddle attachment) Mix together. Make well in center, add milk, egg yolks, mix for 1 minute. Fold in all remaining ingredients. Mix 1 minute, and allow to rest for 15 minutes before frying at 350 degrees for approximately. 4 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment